Blogger Backgrounds

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jan Chapman: Accomplished Man

Jan Chapman is a man known to little, but respected by many. He is most famous for being a statistician for the San Diego Chargers, but that's just an understatement to what he has done and accomplished.

http://www.cowleytigers.com/halloffame/halloffameimages/janchapman.jpgJan was born in Kansas and lived there until he was eighteen. As a teen, Chapman was involved in many sports; Football, Basketball, Track, and summer Baseball. I asked him which sport was his favorite, I suspected Football. Surprisingly, he told me Baseball. Unfortunately, he only played it in the summer. When he said that, The Sandlot immediately came to mind. Baseball may have been his favorite, but Football was where he was best.

The next question I asked him was, by the end of your senior year, did you already know what you wanted to do with your life?  ''I already knew I wanted to be a teacher, football was a second option," Jan said. "If you're good enough, why not play?" Chapman said about his future in football. I completely agree.

Jan received a full ride scholarship from the University of Arizona to play football. He wanted to stay near his friends and family, so he decided to attend Arkansas Junior College. He only attended the College for one semester, and then sent a letter back to Arizona asking if the scholarship was still open. Happily, it was. Jan only spent two semesters there, playing football and doing track in both. After the two semesters, he decided to join the Navy.

Chapman moved to San Diego and played football, basketball, and baseball at the NTC (Naval Training Center) as a Recruit Chief Petty Officer. I asked Jan how long he was in the Navy. I didn't expect such a specific amount when he told me "One year, 10 months, and 12 days."

In 1958, Jan decided to go back to Arkansas City Junior College. This time, he focused on track, specifically javelin. After another semester back at the College, Jan was offered another scholarship. This time, to the University of San Diego. He knew the area from the Navy, and decided to accept the offer.

He went to USD for three years. He played basketball for two, baseball for two, and football all three. After he graduated from the University, Jan decided to try out for the Chargers in 1961. "I played with them for three weeks during camp, but then Head Coach Sid Gillman told me he has to let me go" Jan said. "He asked me to help out with the team though. I helped the quarterbacks by throwing passes during practices." Later that year, during the season, Gillman asked Chapman to help keep stats for San Diego for a game. "I'd keep stats for one game almost every year."

In 1962, Jan began teaching. He started at Marian Catholic High School and taught there for six years.
In 1968, Jan began teaching at Castle Park High School and taught there for five years.

Also in 1968, Chapman became the full time statistician for the Chargers. He worked every home game, every season, for twenty seven years. (1968-1995). He taught, kept stats, and even sometimes coached all in the same time period.

After Castle Park, Jan taught at Bonita Vista High School for another five years. There, he was the head coach for football. In only his second year coaching, he led the school to a League Title Championship.

Jan has four kids, two boys, two girls. Both of his sons helped spot for statisticians at Chargers games. One of his daughters also helped out, being a runner for the statisticians.

The last things I asked him, were about football today. I asked who his favorite team was, hoping it was the Chargers. "I am a Charger fan, ever since they were established back in 1960," Jan answered. "I also follow San Diego State University (SDSU); Actually, when I wanted to watch a SDSU basketball game, I helped the statisticians so I could sit court side." he joked.

I then asked him, what do you think the Chargers need to do in order to be Super Bowl Champions? "They need to work on their defense, especially their defensive line." he answered. The last question I asked him was, do you miss being around the Chargers every Sunday? He laughed as he told me, "No, not really. I'd rather watch the games here at my house, on tv, with my wife. There's too much traffic at the stadium, I don't like dealing with it."

I spent about an hour talking to Jan Chapman, and I already could tell what a man he was. The respect I have for him, from just that one conversation is unbelievable. He's kept stats, taught, been in the Navy, coached, been to three Colleges, played many sports, played with the Chargers, gotten married, and had children. Jan Chapman is, by all means, one of the most accomplished men that I have ever met. And I could tell, that he loves every bit of what he's done.

Other facts: Chapman currently coaches at Eastlake High School. He also has thrown the first pitch at a San Diego Padres game. Chargers radio statistician for ten years as well.

Jan was my first interview, and I couldn't of imagined someone better to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment